Chin­nor in charge for su­perb win on the road

The Rugby Paper - - National League 2 South - ■ By NIGEL WILCE

CHIN­NOR thor­oughly de­served their bonus­point vic­tory as they over­came the chal­lenge of Cin­der­ford.

A knock-on early in the game en­abled Cin­der­ford to put some pres­sure on their op­po­nents, and, when Chin­nor con­ceded a penalty for not rolling away, James Mof­fat opened the scor­ing with a well-struck penalty.

The For­est of Dean side con­tin­ued to press for­ward, but an in­ter­cep­tion en­abled Chin­nor to clear their lines.

How­ever, they were pe­nalised in iden­ti­cal fash­ion to the pre­vi­ous one and Mof­fat was again on tar­get with a straight­for­ward kick at goal.

Chin­nor re­sponded well and went through the phases be­fore re­place­ment sec­ond-row Ben Man­ning crashed over for a try from close range, which Jonny Bent­ley con­verted.

For­wards and backs com­bined well with strong car­ries for Chin­nor to set up the next try. Prop Nick Bing­ham, just scram­bled over the line, with Bent­ley again adding the con­ver­sion.

Back came Cin­der­ford, how­ever, with Ge­orge Porter and Kai Lit­tle go­ing close be­fore the ball was moved wide for flanker Lewis Beer to step inside and score a try, which Mof­fat con­verted to make it 13-14 on the half-hour.

Bent­ley put over a penalty for Chin­nor as the in­ter­val ap­proached.

And they scored a cru-

cial try with the last play of the half when they kicked ahead for Kieran Goss to gather up. He put flanker Ge­orge Oliver over for a try, which Bent­ley again con­verted.

Cin­der­ford had an early op­por­tu­nity to re­duce the deficit early in the sec­ond­half, but Mof­fat was just off tar­get with a lon­grange penalty.

Chin­nor built up a long spell of pres­sure, forc­ing their op­po­nents to con­cede a cou­ple of penal­ties at the scrum­mage be­fore scrumhalf Greg Good­fel­low took a quick tap and found Ratu Nawaqaliva in close sup­port.

He forced his way over to earn his team the bonus point, with Bent­ley again adding the ex­tras.

Cin­der­ford got some mo­men­tum into their game and No.8 Harry Hone went over for a try, which Mof­fat con­verted.

Though they went close to scor­ing again in the dy­ing min­utes, the ball was knocked on and Chin­nor were able to run down the clock and claim their well- de­served vic­tory.

Keep­ing it tight: Cin­der­ford open­side Lewis Beer scores. Right: Chin­nor sec­ond row Jack Ramshaw wins clean ball

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.