Lat­est cat vic­tim of an­tifreeze poi­son

Dis­traught owner speaks out at what is be­lieved to be killer bait left out for pets to taste

The Scarborough Evening News - - FRONT PAGE - By Kieran Mur­ray kieran.mur­ Twit­ter: @Re­porterKie

A dis­traught cat owner has been told that her tor­toise­shell cat died from one of the key in­gre­di­ents in an­tifreeze.

A dis­traught cat owner has been told that her tor­toise­shell cat died from one of the key in­gre­di­ents linked with an­tifreeze.

Af­ter let­ting 10-year-old Dee Dee out at around 1.30pm, Carol Gra­ham, of Park Street, didn’t see her cat again un­til 5.30pm when she came across her pet in a bad way in her gar­den.

The 59-year-old, who also owns an­other three cats, said: “I knew some­thing was wrong straight away. We took her down to Alma Vets straight away and af­ter half an hour they asked for my per­mis­sion to put her to sleep.

“To me, it is mur­der. I don’t think this is an ac­ci­dent. I am still in to­tal shock. I still call Dee Dee when it’s feed­ing time. She dragged her­self back to the gar­den and was dy­ing in my arms. It is the cru­ellest death for an an­i­mal to en­dure.”

Ve­teri­nary staff be­lieve Dee Dee had been poi­soned with eth­yl­ene gly­col, one of the key in­gre­di­ents in an­tifreeze.

Cats have a fa­tal at­trac­tion to the sweet-tast­ing an­tifreeze, an al­lure an­i­mal poi­son­ers have taken ad­van­tage of over the years.

An­tifreeze can start af­fect­ing a cat within 30 min­utes of be­ing con­sumed, al­though it can take up to three days for it to cause kid­ney fail­ure.

Heather We­stron, a part­ner at Alma Vets, told The Scar­bor­ough News that since 2015, they had to put seven cats to sleep due to an­tifreeze poi­son­ing.

She said: “It is pos­si­ble that some cases could be an ac­ci­dent, but it’s get­ting to be too much of a co­in­ci­dence. It can be treated but only if spot­ted very early. Nearly all cases are fa­tal. My ad­vice would be to keep your cat in­doors, but I know it’s dif­fi­cult. I would love to see some jus­tice. Why would some­one want to do some­thing like this?”

Poi­son­ing cats can con­sti­tute a crim­i­nal of­fence; un­der the An­i­mal Wel­fare Act 2006 the max­i­mum penalty for any­one found guilty is up to six months im­pris­on­ment and/or a £20,000 fine. The Park Street, Park Road and Park Av­enue area of Scar­bor­ough has seen a num­ber of in­ci­dents in pre­vi­ous years.

Park Street res­i­dent Tikki Emad’s cats, Bis­cuit and Milly , fell vic­tim to sus­pected an­tifreeze poi­son­ing in 2015.

She said: “It was heart­break­ing and our two chil­dren were also ex­tremely up­set. We have an ex­ist­ing cat and are ob­vi­ously very keen to draw at­ten­tion to this and try to pre­vent it hap­pen­ing again.”

A North York­shire Po­lice spokesman said: “We have re­ceived re­ports that sev­eral cats have been put to sleep over a pe­riod of time in Scar­bor­ough be­cause of what is be­lieved to be eth­yl­ene gly­col poi­son­ing. In­quiries are on­go­ing to es­tab­lish the full cir­cum­stances sur­round­ing the in­ci­dents.”

If any­one has any in­for­ma­tion that could as­sist the in­ves­ti­ga­tion call 101 re­lat­ing to in­ci­dent num­ber 12170161828.

Tragic Dee Dee, and Carol Gra­ham’s daugh­ter Marla Sands with cat Bon­nie

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.