Make a lattice pie topping
1. Roll out the pastry to the thickness of a £1 coin and mark a circle about 5cm larger than your tin. Cut out 10 strips of pastry.
2. Using your 2 longest lengths, lay on the tart to make a cross in the centre [a] – don’t attach to the edges. The strip that’s vertical as you look at it needs to be on top.
3. Lay 2 strips of pastry horizontally, either side of the horizontal strip [b].
4 .Fold the middle horizontal strip back on itself to the right and put a vertical strip on the tart to the left of the folded back strip [c]. Unfold the pastry strip back to its original position, then repeat on the other side.
5. Now repeat with the vertical strips: fold up the middle vertical strip, put a horizontal strip at the bottom [d], then fold back the middle strip.
6. Repeat at the top with the centre vertical strip, folding it down.
7. Fold horizontal strips of pastry on each side of the central strip right to left [e], and lay down the last vertical strip on the right. Fold back the strips [f ], then repeat on the other side [g]. 8. Press all the edges down [h] and trim the excess. Brush the pastry with beaten egg, chill, brush again, then sprinkle lightly with brown sugar and bake .
Tips from the expert team at delicious.magazine. The latest issue is on sale now. Visit delicious magazine.co.uk for recipes and more step-by-step techniques.