Fact File

The Scots Magazine - - Contents -

● The Duke of Cum­ber­land ap­par­ently spent the night in Nairn be­fore the Bat­tle of Cul­lo­den.

● Cul­bin For­est was cov­ered by a huge sand­storm in the 1600s and was only sta­bilised in the 20th cen­tury when the Forestry Com­mis­sion planted trees.

● In the 17th cen­tury, Find­horn was the main port on the Mo­ray Firth with reg­u­lar sail­ings to the Baltics.

● El­gin Cathe­dral, con­se­crated in 1224, was known as the Lan­tern of the North.

● It is thought that the coast­line sur­round­ing Lossiemouth was once the home of St Geraldine, a her­mit who placed lanterns around the rocky head­land to warn sea­far­ers.

Covesea Sk­er­ries Light­house in Lossiemouth

Big skies over Burghead

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.