Paracetamol Challenge a deadly game
CHILDREN have been risking their lives in a potentially lethal new social media craze that encourages the abuse of painkillers.
In the so-called “Paracetamol Challenge” youngsters dare each other to take the over-the-counter tablets.
But even a small overdose can have life-changing or fatal consequences, medics have warned.
Police were called in after one person was thought to have been hospitalised after taking part in what education chiefs describes as a “dangerous craze”. Parents were also urged to monitor their children’s use of social media such as Facebook and Instagram, used to spread the potentially lethal “game”.
Schools in East Ayrshire have sent out letters to alert parents and youngsters. Warnings were also made at school assemblies. Alan Ward, head of schools at East Ayrshire Council, said Police Scotland were notified after reports of the Paracetamol Challenge first emerged in March.
He added: “We have been encouraging parents to monitor their child’s safety on social media.
“The ‘challenge’ results in young people daring each other, through Instagram and Facebook, to take excessive amounts of paracetamol and this is a matter of great concern.”