Taxi driver who killed pen­sioner while ‘blinded’ could face jail

● Cab­bie af­fected by glare of the sun ● OAP never re­cov­ered from ac­ci­dent

The Scotsman - - Around Scotland - By GRANT MCCABE news­deskts@scots­

A taxi driver killed an 89-yearold man af­ter fail­ing to spot him due to the glare of the sun.

James Buchanan struck the shop­ping trol­ley pulled by David Mc­quis­ton, knock­ing him to the ground.

Mr Mc­quis­ton was re­turn­ing home from vis­it­ing his de­men­tia-stricken wife at the time of the ac­ci­dent in Jan­uary 2015.

The pen­sioner died two months later hav­ing never fully re­cov­ered fol­low­ing the col­li­sion in Dunoon, Argyll and Bute.

Buchanan – a taxi driver for 18 years – could now face jail af­ter he yes­ter­day pled guilty to a charge of caus­ing death by care­less driv­ing.

His bail was con­tin­ued at the High Court in Glas­gow pend­ing sen­tenc­ing next month.

Mr Mc­quis­ton had gone to see his wife of 51 years, who lived with their daugh­ter in Dunoon.

The ac­ci­dent hap­pened in the town’s Argyll Road around 3pm on 3 Jan­uary 2015.

Pros­e­cu­tor Tim Niven Smith said “the sun was low in the sky” with its bright­ness “re­duc­ing vis­i­bil­ity”.

Mr Mc­quis­ton was not walk­ing on the pave­ment and was in­stead fol­low­ing the dou­ble yel­low lines at the side of the road.

The pen­sioner, who lived in the town, was us­ing a stick to help him and he was also pulling a dark shop­ping trol­ley. The court heard the pave­ment was icy pos­si­bly ex­plain­ing why the pen­sioner was on the road.

Mr Niven Smith said Buchanan failed to spot Mr Mc­quis­ton at the kerb­side with his car hit­ting the trol­ley.

The pen­sioner fell and smacked his head on the ground.

Buchanan im­me­di­ately got out of his Seat Toledo and di­alled 999.

He told one wit­ness: “I could not see him. I did not mean it. It was the glare of the sun.”

A re­tired nurse mean­time went to help Mr Mc­quis­ton. Buchanan re­peated: “I did not see him. The sun was in my eyes.”

He then went on to com­ment that another pass­ing driver was be­ing “blinded” by the sun­light.

Mr Mc­quis­ton was trans­ferred by he­li­copter to in­ten­sive care in Glas­gow amid fears he had a brain in­jury.

Fol­low­ing re­ha­bil­i­ta­tion, he was sent to the Ersk­ine care home in Ren­frew­shire. But, on 20 March 2015, Mr Mc­quis­ton died there af­ter fall­ing un­con­scious due to breath­ing prob­lems. It was found that he passed away due to a form of pneu­mo­nia caused by the head in­jury.

Tony Gra­ham, de­fend­ing, said Buchanan of­fered his “deep­est apolo­gies” to Mr Mc­quis­ton’s rel­a­tives.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.