Sig­urds­son rocket gives Silva lift-off af­ter Morgan red card

The Sunday Telegraph - Sport - - Sport | Premier League - By John Percy at King Power Sta­dium ef­fec­tive and the

Gylfi Sig­urds­son has al­ways proved adept in the art of scor­ing spec­tac­u­lar goals and here was an­other one for the col­lec­tion.

The Ever­ton mid­fielder’s strike, his 50th Premier League goal, se­cured Marco Silva his first away win of the sea­son as man­ager to give Le­ices­ter an­other sense of what might have been.

Sig­urds­son (right) chose Ever­ton ahead of Le­ices­ter in a £40 mil­lion move 18 months ago and his su­perb in­di­vid­ual ef­fort com­pleted a frus­trat­ing af­ter­noon for the hosts, who had cap­tain Wes Morgan sent off for the sec­ond time in three league games.

Le­ices­ter had been show­ing signs of progress un­der man­ager Claude Puel but Sig­urds­son put the brakes on their mo­men­tum with a “worldy” out of noth­ing, dipped in gold.

“It was fan­tas­tic for Gylfi. His qual­ity in that mo­ment showed how good he is. The way he took the ball and shot it was fan­tas­tic,” said Silva.

“That was the win­ning goal but, to be hon­est, we de­served the three points this af­ter­noon.”

Ever­ton were ahead af­ter just seven min­utes. Bernard, mak­ing his first league start, evaded Ri­cardo Pereira and Daniel Amartey on the right to send over a cross to the far post which was con­verted by Richarli­son.

Le­ices­ter had won their pre­vi­ous three games and ini­tially strug­gled to pro­duce a re­sponse, with James Mad­di­son – called up to the se­nior Eng­land squad this week – crowded out ev­ery time he took the ball.

The trusted long pass to Jamie Vardy con­tin­ues to prove striker could have lev­elled ten min­utes be­fore half-time when he was sent clear with only Jor­dan Pick­ford to beat, but he poked his shot wide.

The equaliser did ar­rive, though, in the 39th minute af­ter an out­stand­ing in­di­vid­ual goal from Pereira, City’s sum­mer re­cruit from Porto.

Af­ter clear­ing an Ever­ton cor­ner, Le­ices­ter broke quickly and Pereira pro­duced an ex­cel­lent run with the ball from the halfway line, leav­ing Jon­joe Kenny on his back­side in the area be­fore driv­ing a low shot into the bot­tom cor­ner of the net.

Yet the turn­ing point came in the 63rd minute when Morgan was dis­missed. It was an in­nocu­ous foul on Richarli­son which earned him a sec­ond cau­tion and Morgan did not wait to hang around for ref­eree An­dre Mar­riner’s de­ci­sion.

The mo­men­tum then shifted to the vis­i­tors, with Kasper Sch­me­ichel re­quired to push Sig­urds­son’s shot around a post.

But Sch­me­ichel was pow­er­less in the 77th minute to pre­vent the Ice­lander’s bril­liant shot from find­ing the top cor­ner. Sig­urds­son skipped away from Mad­di­son to ad­vance into space and bend an ex­quis­ite shot over the Le­ices­ter goal­keeper from 30 yards. It was a rocket from Sig­urds­son, and Silva has lift-off. Puel said: “The send­ing-off was dif­fi­cult to ac­cept. This changed the sce­nario of the game be­cause we dom­i­nated a lot.”

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.