South of Mombasa
● Thirty-seven rooms, including two-bedroom suites and beach cottages, on the loveliest stretch of Diani. Superb restaurant and sociable bar popular with expats. From £770 b&b; child sharing £539 (thesandskenya.com).
● Set in 37 acres on a small bluff above two small coves north of Diani. Bright spacious rooms and new villas (the Residences) with a choice of places to eat. Adults-only pool and beach as well as family entertainment and pool areas. From £835 half-board; child sharing £699 (leopardbeachresort.com).
● A family home turned boutique retreat run by the Andersson family from Sweden. The 15 rooms are arranged in villas filled with antique pieces beside a private beach. Horse-riding and tennis on site with tuition. From £2,819 allinclusive; child sharing £1,899 (kinondo-kwetu.com).
● Stylish contemporary hideaway with 10 suites, a large infinity pool and fine dining under the stars. The charming Italian hosts speak fluent English. From £2,055 full-board; child sharing £1,179 (saruni.com).
● The best family-oriented resort on the coast and a big favourite with Brits: spotless rooms, kids club, beautiful gardens, themed buffets and entertainment. From £900 all-