Night­club rises from the ashes to dance again

The Wharf - - News - By Pippa Allen-Kin­ross

A Green­wich night­club that was dev­as­tated by a fa­tal fire is set to re­open in Oc­to­ber. The blaze al­most to­tally de­stroyed Stu­dio 338 on Green­wich Penin­sula and claimed the life of 28-year-old em­ployee To­mas Cei­dukas in Au­gust last year.

The club has now an­nounced, fol­low­ing a ren­o­va­tion of the venue, Stu­dio 388 will re­open its ter­race and stu­dio floors with a week­end of par­ties on Oc­to­ber 27, 28 and 29. Club­bers can ex­pect fresh fea­tures at the venue in­clud­ing an LED light in­stal­la­tion with video screen ten­ta­cles known as The Oc­to­pus, a rub­berised dance floor to make those moves ex­tra springy and a new acous­tic sys­tem, as well as a stripped back stu­dio floor.

In an open let­ter pub­lished on­line, Stu­dio 338 mu­sic di­rec­tor Dan Per­rin hailed “a whole new chap­ter” for the club and paid trib­ute to To­mas.

He said: “All our sav­ings, all our lives, all of our time and all our hearts were in that fire. Not only that, but shortly af­ter I got the news that our beloved To­mas had been caught up in the worst of it. I’m not a re­li­gious per­son but I begged and pleaded with any­one or any­thing up there that he would be OK.

“Trag­i­cally he passed the next day. Even the big­gest men amongst us cried. I cer­tainly did.

“He was the nicest per­son you could hope to meet. He had his whole life ahead of him and he was gone.

“Even now it’s al­most too much to bear and so I won’t say too much more, ex­cept that we miss him ter­ri­bly and ev­ery­thing we do from here on in has his smile at its cen­tre.”

The Evening Stan­dard re­ported at the time To­mas had been help­ing to res­cue oth­ers trapped in­side the burn­ing build­ing on Au­gust 8, 2016. He died two days later in hos­pi­tal. Go to stu­ for more in­for­ma­tion.

The club is set to re­open in Oc­to­ber

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.