Lead grows af­ter win­ning week­end

The Wokingham Paper - - SPORT - By TOM CROCKER

BRACK­NELL BEES have ex­tended their lead atop South 1 af­ter a sec­ond four-point week­end of the cam­paign.

Doug Shep­pard’s men now have a record of 6-1, bounc­ing back from last Sun­day’s de­feat at Streatham to beat Raiders 3-2 and Mil­ton Keynes Thun­der 2-0 to go four points clear of the chas­ing pack.

Bees beat Raiders 6-4 on the open­ing day, but they faced a tough test in the re­verse fix­ture on Satur­day.

Af­ter a goal­less first pe­riod, Jack Sylvester broke the dead­lock for the hosts to give them a 1-0 lead head­ing into the third.

Shaun Thomp­son lev­elled up just 31 sec­onds into the fi­nal stanza and the come­back was com­plete less than a minute later when Vanya Antonov tucked in.

Filip Se­divy equalised, but a pow­er­play strike by Har­vey Stead earned a 3-2 win.

Back at The Hive on Sun­day, Bees im­pressed against a strug­gling MK side, still seek­ing their first win.

James Galazzi, Stead and Ai­dan Doughty were all de­nied early on by net­min­der Jor­dan Law­day as the home side dom­i­nated the puck.

For­mer Brack­nell man Rio Grinell-Parke went close for Thun­der, thwarted by Dean Skinns, be­fore Law­day was called into ac­tion again to stop Antonov.

The dead­lock was fi­nally bro­ken in the 12th minute when Scott Spear­ing picked out Ed­ward Knaggs, who in turn found Ro­man Malinik to fire home with a wrist shot.

The sec­ond pe­riod fol­lowed a sim­i­lar pat­tern, with Brack­nell on the front foot and Law­day in-form be­tween the pipes.

But it was 2-0 be­fore the half hour mark as Knaggs and Thomp­son ex­changed passes be­fore Josh Martin tucked in.

Martin was then forced to sit out, along with Grant McPher­son, for a dou­ble fight­ing mi­nor.

The ex­tra space on the ice led to more chances, but no more goals fol­lowed as Bees ran out com­fort­able win­ners.

Pic­ture: Dan Black­ham

Ro­man Malinik at the face off

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.