• Chacchoben is 177 km (110 miles) south of Tulum and a day trip from the Riviera Maya or a half day trip from the Costa Maya. (The distance is roughly the same as Chichen Itza from the Riviera Maya).
• It is a 50 minute drive from the Costa Maya on highway 293, or follow highway 307 from Riviera Maya.
• The Chacchoben archaeological site is located just 3 km north-west of Lazaro Cardenas, not near the village of Chacchoben. Once you drive through Lazaro Cardenas you will see the ruins on the west side of the road. It is easy to mix up the village and the ruin site.
• The site is open from 8.00am to 5.00pm Monday to Sunday.
• To avoid the cruise ship crowds, visit early in the day or late afternoon and then you will see more wildlife.
• Top tip: If driving to the site, look out for pineapple stalls before you reach the turn off to the ruins. This is honey pineapple which is said to be the best pineapple to be found anywhere.