2 Cathedral of St. Pierre
Set in the old city, high on the hill overlooking the lake, the Cathedral of Saint Pierre was built between 1150-1250. It has been damaged and rebuilt many times over its life-time, and during the Reformation in the mid-16th century was stripped of all its interior decorations and ornaments. At this time, its interior paintings were covered in white and only its stained glass windows survived.
It was here that John Calvin preached to his followers, apparently twice on Sundays and once on weekdays every other week.
TOP TIP: On the right-hand side of the Cathedral is a small entrance that leads to the archaeological excavations that were carried out for 30 years (1976-2006) underneath the Cathedral.
Here the remains of the many churches were found that preceded the current structure, with the oldest dating from the late 4th century, which provided evidence of Geneva’s pivotal role in the development of Christianity. Furthermore, the excavations have brought to light traces of pre-Christian occupation of the hill: wells, a grain processing area, a likely ceremonial building and an Allobrogian tomb.
Previous pages: The four main protagonists of the Reformation in Geneva, William Farel, John Calvin, Theodore de Beze and John Knox (Image: Elenarts/ Shutterstock) Left: The Reformation Wall in the Parc des Bastions Above: The Cathedral of St. Pierre (Both images: © Geneva Tourism) Right: The Auditoire de Calvin, where John Knox preached whilst in exile (Image: © F. Richards)