Pingyao Museum & Qingxu Temple
The Qingxu Temple, located on the north side of Dongba Street, is the largest Taoist temple in Pingyao county. The temple was first built in 657 CE, during the Tang Dynasty (616-907 CE) and prospered in the Yuan Dynasty (1271-1368 CE). Its original name was the Taiping Temple. It became the Qingxu Taoist Temple in 1064 during the Song Dynasty (960-1279 CE). Only a few of its original Taoist sculptures remain.
The temple was renovated into Pingyao Museum in 1998. The museum is composed of three exhibitions: Taoist civilisation, the history of Pingyao and valuable cultural relics. There are also some special statues of opera actors, which are very bright and colourful.