Ex­tin­guisher at­tack shocks fes­tive shop­pers

Moped riders spray pedes­tri­ans

Uxbridge Gazette - - NEWS - By Amita Joshi amita.joshi@trin­i­tymir­ror.com

SHOP­PERS were left in shock af­ter moped riders sprayed them with fire ex­tin­guish­ers in three in­ci­dents in Uxbridge town cen­tre.

Youths rid­ing on the bikes struck in York Road, out­side the tube sta­tion and Uxbridge High Street be­tween 10pm and 11pm on Box­ing Day.

The Gazette spoke to two of the vic­tims who were left star­tled af­ter be­ing con­fronted by the young­sters.

Au­gusta Over­ton said she and four oth­ers were walk­ing down the High Street when they saw bright lights towards them.

It be­came clearer that it was three young­sters on two mopeds as they swerved near them, ac­cord­ing to Ms Over­ton.

She said: “They missed us by about half a me­tre and sprayed all five of us with the fire ex­tin­guisher.

“It got in our eyes, in our mouths and on our clothes, we couldn’t see a thing.”

The 22-year-old from Ayles­bury de­scribed the shock of see­ing the riders re­turn as they tried to get to their car in York Road.

“The same mopeds drove passed and did the ex­act same thing,” she said.

“For­tu­nately we okay but we com­ing are are con­cerned – what if there had been a child or an el­derly per­son or some­thing with health is­sues?”

In an­other in­ci­dent, 44-year-old Mar­cus Man left the tube sta­tion’s bus stop exit.

He said: “There was al­ready a bike there but as I was go­ing to get the bus, a sec­ond bike came and the rider said ‘sorry mate’ and then there was this pow­dery sub­stance evey­where.

“The guy in front of me was cov­ered and I got some of it on my clothes and glasses.”

The Uxbridge res­i­dent con­tin­ued: “We didn’t know what it was and called the po­lice – it was all over in about 20 sec­onds but it was shock­ing, es­pe­cially when you don’t know what it is.”

Af­ter be­ing helped by a com­muter who was their “good samar­i­tan” and gave them tis­sues, an­other lady with two chil­dren told Mr Man she was al­most at­tacked, but af­ter spot­ting their two chil­dren, they backed away.

Po­lice told vic­tims that al­though the spray was not poi­sonous, it could re­sult in a check-up for those with res­pi­ra­tory con­di­tions.

A Met­ro­pol­i­tan Po­lice spokesman said: “We did get an­ti­so­cial be­hav­iour calls be­tween 10pm to 11pm, but thank­fully no one was se­ri­ously hurt.

“No ar­rests have been made re­gard­ing the three in­ci­dents.”

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.