Uxbridge Gazette - - FRONT PAGE -

HARRY Goodger says Weald­stone FC are “go­ing places” af­ter a last­gasp goal at home to Hunger­ford Town on Satur­day made it a sev­enth straight home win, and seven games un­beaten.

Bobby Wilkin­son’s shock de­par­ture as man­ager of the vis­i­tors in Au­gust meant there was some­thing of an at­mos­phere around The Stones’ Grosvenor Vale ground on Satur­day.

Goodger, one of the play­ers to swap Hunger­ford for Weald­stone, said: “Fun­nily enough, they booed me when I came on, so that’s prob­a­bly why I cel­e­brated. I played for them for six years for Bobby and moved back to Kent last year so I was play­ing for a side lo­cally down there and as soon as Bobby called me I came straight away, he’s the only man­ager I’ve ever re­ally wanted to play for.

“There’s so much be­lief in the ground, I feel like we’re go­ing places, big-time. We’ve nicked three points and to get up the ta­ble that’s what you’ve got to do.”

Abo Eisa slot­ted home a last-minute penalty to win it for Weald­stone, – and crank up the ill feel­ing – hav­ing been de­nied mo­ments ear­lier.

It was a tense, frus­trat­ing en­counter for much of the game with the pre-match build-up cen­tred around Wilkin­son’s de­ci­sion to switch clubs.

The Stones boss made just one change from the strong side that started in the mid­week Middlesex Se­nior Cup win over Hayes & Yead- ing, Sam Cox hav­ing re­cov­ered from an an­kle in­jury to re­place Matty Which­e­low.

The first half had few chances, with Eisa swerv­ing Weald­stone’s best ef­fort wide just nine min­utes into the game. Ni­cholas Big­nall then had two good op­por­tu­ni­ties for the vis­i­tors just be­fore half-time but put both wide.

It wasn’t un­til the fi­nal 15 min­utes that the game sparked into life.

Ryan Sell­ers’ free-kick brought a good save out of young Hunger­ford keeper Mar­cus Beauchamp, mak­ing his de­but af­ter Read­ing loa­nee Lewis Ward left for Alder­shot dur­ing the week.

Hunger­ford then had two great chances to take a late lead. Af­ter some pin­ball in the Stones box, the ball fell to An­ton Rogers on the edge of the area but he skewed a shot wide. Shortly af­ter, Paul Stone­house forced a spec­tac­u­lar low stop from Jonathan North from a sim­i­lar spot.

Stones fans were seething in the 83rd minute af­ter Eisa was booked for sim­u­la­tion in the penalty area when clear con­tact ap­peared to have been made.

How­ever deep into added time, Eisa again col­lected the ball in the box only to be bun­dled over and ref­eree Ja­cob Miles this time pointed to the spot.

The young winger then showed great com­po­sure and char­ac­ter to step up and coolly con­vert the penalty past Beauchamp and send the massed crowd be­hind the goal into rap­tures.

Alan Palmer

A re­call for fit-again Sam Cox was the only change to Bobby Wilkin­son’s XI on Satur­day

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.