Wales On Sunday - - NEWS - RUTH MOSALSKI Lo­cal gov­ern­ment re­porter ruth.mosalski@waleson­line.co.uk

T ASHA TRAF­FORD had just got mar­ried when she was told the back pain she’d been ex­pe­ri­enc­ing was an in­cur­able cancer.

Four years later, she had just ful­filled her dream of be­com­ing a mum when her life was cru­elly taken by the dis­ease.

Tasha had been di­ag­nosed with rare bone cancer Ewing’s Sar­coma just af­ter she got mar­ried in Thailand in 2012.

She had been suf­fer­ing back pain and had been reg­u­larly vis­it­ing her doc­tor for help.

Her cancer was de­tected af­ter the fam­ily paid for an MRI scan.

The fam­ily knew quickly the con­di­tion was in­cur­able.

She had chemo­ther­apy and ra­dio­ther­apy at Swansea’s Sin­gle­ton Hos­pi­tal and af­ter two years was told she was clear and, while they couldn’t tell her it wouldn’t come back, she should carry on with her life.

In her hope of be­com­ing a mother, Tasha had frozen three em­bryos.

As soon as she was told the cancer was no longer ac­tive, one was im­planted.

The first egg took and Tasha was de­lighted when she was told she was preg­nant.

How­ever, 16 weeks into her preg­nancy she was told the cancer had re­turned.

She was given the unimag­in­able choice of end­ing her preg­nancy to start chemo­ther­apy straight away or los­ing her life.

A&E nurse Tasha de­cided to con­tinue with her preg­nancy.

She said at the time: “Do­ing any­thing that might harm my un­born baby would be un­think­able”.

Baby Cooper arrived on De­cem­ber 12, 2015. His mum got to share just 11 months with him be­fore she died on Novem­ber 12, 2016.

Tasha had set her­self goals to reach, and she was des­per­ate to see her son turn one.

“She had him for 11 months,” her dad Dai Gal­li­van, from Cly­dach, Swansea, said.

“She knew what was hap­pen­ing but we didn’t speak about it much. It was a re­ally long ill­ness and was in­cred­i­bly hard for Tasha.”

The day she died, her Dad had been due to fly out to com­plete a char­ity climb of Mount Kil­i­man­jaro for Ten­ovus Cancer Care.

A month be­fore, hav­ing seen his daugh­ter’s con­di­tion de­te­ri­o­rate, he de­cided to hand his place over to Tasha’s brother David.

“I knew I couldn’t go. I knew in my heart of hearts if I was away then Tasha wouldn’t be here when I got back”.

David was sit­ting in the air­port, two hours be­fore his flight, when his Dad called to tell him his sis­ter had died.

David had been able to see his sis­ter the day be­fore he left. He con­tin­ued with the trek in her mem­ory.

This year Dai him­self will com­plete the trek in his daugh­ter’s mem­ory.

“It’s go­ing to be a good event and my son wants me to do it be­cause he wants me to share the same ex­pe­ri­ence as him.

“I’m not wor­ried about the climb­ing it­self, I am pretty sure I’ll be OK with that, but I know a lot of peo­ple have prob­lems with the alti­tude.”

He said his daugh­ter wouldn’t be at all sur­prised he was com­plet­ing the trek.

“I think she’d think it’s just what I do. She’d think it’s just an­other thing that Dad does”.

To spon­sor Dai visit www. just­giv­ing.com/fundrais­ing/daigal­li­van.

Left, Tasha and baby Cooper. Above, Dai Gal­li­van with his daugh­ter Tasha and, be­low, Dai on Pen y Fan

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.