KNIFEMAN SHOT DEAD

Wales On Sunday - - NEWS - PRESS AS­SO­CI­A­TION news­desk@waleson­line.co.uk

SOL­DIERS shot dead a man in Brus­sels af­ter he at­tacked troops with a knife in a “ter­ror at­tack”. The man twice shouted “Al­lahu ak­bar,” Ara­bic for “God is great,” as he ran at the sol­diers, said Es­ther Na­tus, a spokes­woman for the fed­eral pros­e­cu­tor’s of­fice.

“We do con­sider it a ter­ror at­tack,” Ms Na­tus said.

She de­clined to iden­tify the man or con­firm whether he was known to po­lice, say­ing only that “the sus­pect is dead” and one of the sol­diers was slightly wounded.

Brus­sels Mayor Philippe Close said three sol­diers came under at­tack and one had been taken to hos­pi­tal.

Prime Min­is­ter Charles Michel said via Twit­ter. “Our se­cu­rity ser­vices re­main on alert. We are fol­low­ing the sit­u­a­tion closely.”

As­so­ci­ated Press tele­vi­sion images showed po­lice had sealed off a main street near the Grand Place, a cen­tral square that is a pop­u­lar tourist site.

Thomas da Silva Rosa, a man who lives near where the in­ci­dent took place on Boule­vard Emile Jac­que­main, said he saw the at­tacker ly­ing in the street in the af­ter­math.

“I live in front of the sta­tion. There was a man ly­ing on the ground. The po­lice said he had been shot by sol­diers,” said Mr da Silva Rosa, a pub­lic af­fairs con­sul­tant.

“He was ly­ing on the ground, ap­peared dead,” he told AP.

Bel­gium has been on high alert since suicide bombers killed 32 peo­ple in at­tacks on March 22, 2016, on Brus­sels’ main air­port and subway sys­tem.

Sol­diers and ex­tra po­lice have been de­ployed at pub­lic build­ings and around large gath­er­ings for more than a year.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.