19 13

Wales On Sunday - - SPORT ON SUNDAY -

ALED Thomas kicked four penal­ties to help Car­marthen Quins come from be­hind against Cardiff and claim a hard-earned vic­tory on a very wet af­ter­noon.

Cardiff’s St­ef­fan Jones has al­ready show­cased his kick­ing abil­ity this sea­son but de­spite a cagey open­ing he de­cided to go for the cor­ner than for the posts on the 10-minute mark.

His de­ci­sion looked to have been jus­ti­fied with the re­sult­ing line-out see­ing lock Sam Pailor cross the white­wash, but he dropped the ball at the vi­tal mo­ment.

How­ever, ref­eree Dewi Phillips pulled play back for a penalty and this time Jones fired the ball through the posts to give the vis­i­tors the lead.

Hosts Quins were strug­gling to as­sert them­selves against an or­gan­ised Cardiff, but were given a golden chance to re­store par­ity with a penalty, which full-back Thomas dis­patched.

Cardiff replied in­stantly. A num­ber of good passes saw them gain ter­ri­tory be­fore a kick caught out the static Quins de­fence and cen­tre Will Rees-Hole was able to catch the ball and touch down for his first try of the sea­son. Jones then added the ex­tras.

Quins then en­joyed a good spell with the ball, but they couldn’t turn pos­ses­sion into points as Cardiff re­mained solid, pre­vent­ing Quins from find­ing any space.

How­ever, their pur­suit of points was dealt a big blow when for­mer Merthyr flanker Ed Sig­gery was sent to the sin-bin on 34 min­utes, mean­ing the hosts had to play the rest of the half with 14 men.

De­spite the nu­mer­i­cal dis­ad­van­tage, they rose to the chal­lenge with Thomas on tar­get with an im­pres­sive penalty from long range.

They con­tin­ued to pile on the pres­sure and re­duced the deficit to just one point with Thomas boot­ing his third penalty of the game with the last kick of the half.

The hosts made a bright start to the sec­ond half and, af­ter a brief stop in play due to tech­ni­cal is­sues with the of­fi­cials’ com­mu­ni­ca­tion equip­ment, Thomas edged Quins ahead with his fourth penalty of the game.

Re­place­ment num­ber eight Mor­gan Allen thought he had handed the lead back to Cardiff mid­way through the sec­ond half but ref­eree Phillips blew his whis­tle for an of­fence in the build-up that left Quins flanker Gethin Davies need­ing lengthy treat­ment be­fore be­ing re­placed by El­lis Lloyd.

That de­ci­sion seemed to re-en­er­gise the hosts and they went on to ex­tend their lead with cen­tre Nick Reynolds touch­ing down un­der a pile of Quins bod­ies. Thomas was ac­cu­rate with the con­ver­sion.

Cardiff had the last word as Jones sal­vaged a los­ing bonus point with a late penalty, but Quins took the win.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.