Crush hap­pened at Hills­bor­ough 8 years ear­lier

Warwickshire Telegraph - - UK & WORLD - Kim Pilling Spe­cial Cor­re­spon­dent

THIRTYEIGHT fans were re­port­edly in­jured in a “crush­ing in­ci­dent” at Hills­bor­ough eight years be­fore the tragedy which killed 96 people, an in­quest into their deaths has heard.

Tot­ten­ham Hot­spur fans spilled onto the perime­ter track at the Lep­pings Lane end of the ground and oth­ers climbed fences shortly af­ter the start of the 1981 FA Cup semi-fi­nal against Wolver­hamp­ton Wan­der­ers.

Jurors watched a seven-minute clip of footage from the game.

The in­quest in War­ring­ton heard that the crush, at its most sig­nif­i­cant point, arose within a few min­utes of the match kick­ing off.

Four min­utes into the game Spurs striker Steve Archibald scored in front of the Wolves sup­port­ers which caused the crowd in the Spurs end to surge, the hear­ing was told.

Two min­utes later the footage shows a small num­ber of Spurs fans sit­ting on the perime­ter track in front of the Lep­pings Lane end – scene of the 1989 fa­tal crush – and some were seen climb­ing the perime­ter fence, as­sisted by po­lice of­fi­cers.

At nine min­utes on the clock spec­ta­tors were seen sit­ting be­hind the goal, with num­bers quickly in­creas­ing.

Shortly af­ter a St John Am­bu­lance worker was seen car­ry­ing a stretcher to as­sist a spec­ta­tor.

At half-time, fans ran across the pitch to­wards the op­po­site end con­tain­ing the Wolves sup­port­ers be­fore they were even­tu­ally cor­ralled by po­lice to sit in front of the north stand. Sh­effield Wed­nes­day said it re­ceived re­ports that 38 people sus­tained in­juries, the in­quest heard.

A to­tal of 30 fans were treated by St John Am­bu­lance for mi­nor in­juries.

Oth­ers were taken to hospi­tal for treat­ment with two people suf­fer­ing bro­ken arms and one break­ing a leg.

Footage from the 1981 game shows fans hav­ing climbed over the fence

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.