Re­lax tourist ban to Tu­nisia ap­peal

Warwickshire Telegraph - - NEWS -

THE Government’s re­fusal to re­lax its travel ad­vice for Tu­nisia al­most one year af­ter the deadly at­tack near Sousse is al­low­ing the per­pe­tra­tors to be­lieve they are “on the win­ning side”, the coun­try’s UK-based tourism of­fi­cials said.

Some 30 Bri­tons were killed by gun­man Seifed­dine Rezgui in the coastal resort of Port El Kan­taoui on June 26 last year, lead­ing the For­eign and Com­mon­wealth Of­fice (FCO) to ad­vise against all but es­sen­tial travel to the North African coun­try.

Ter­ror group Is­lamic State claimed re­spon­si­bil­ity for the at­tack.

Tarek Aouadi, di­rec­tor of the Tu­nisian Na­tional Tourist Of­fice (TNTO) in the UK, fought back tears as he in­sisted it was wrong for his home coun­try to be pun­ished as a re­sult of the at­tack.

He told the Press As­so­ci­a­tion: “Tu­nisia shouldn’t be pe­nalised be­cause very hurt­ful, crim­i­nal peo­ple wanted to dam­age its econ­omy.

“They are suc­ceed­ing be­cause if tourism is banned from the UK mar­ket that gives them a very good sig­nal that they are on the win­ning side.”

UK tour op­er­a­tors stopped sell­ing hol­i­days to Tu­nisia fol­low­ing the FCO ad­vice, which warns that “fur­ther at­tacks re­main highly likely”.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.