Mouldy sandwich from Asda made my little girl ill, says angry mum
A MUM from Coventry says her young daughter fell ill after eating a mouldy sandwich bought at Asda.
Katie Pettigrew, 22, from Tile Hill, went for lunch at the Walsgrave supermarket’s cafe with her 11-month-old daughter and partner on Saturday, May 21.
Katie bought her daughter Darci a children’s box meal, with a sandwich and other snacks, but was left horrified when they spotted green mould on the bread.
Darci fell ill later that evening, and after ringing 111, an ambulance was dispatched and notes left by paramedics suggested it was caused by food poisoning.
Katie said: “Saturday night I put her to bed around eight after I gave her a bottle and although she was sick I just thought she was bringing up her bottle.
“I then heard her on the monitor. She was screaming so I rushed upstairs and was horrified to find her in such a state.
“She was covered in vomit and her bed was soaking.
“My poor girl was panicking because she was being sick, she had the sweats and her stomach was churning.”
Katie said she couldn’t feed Darci solid food for two days because she was so scared to eat.
“It took her two days to eat solid food again.
The sandwich had a use by date of May 23, and the batch of bread it came from was May 25.
Katie said: “Darci was extremely tired at the time, so she didn’t manage to eat all of her food.
“I started to put the sandwich away for her to eat later, and my partner noticed the mould.
“I just looked at Darci and thought ‘you have just eaten half of that sandwich.’”
Katie said she was disappointed with how Asda handled her complaint.
“My daughter nearly ended up in hospital, and they expected me to walk away with a refund and apology,” she said.
“I want to know why they weren’t checking their sandwiches.”
An Asda spokesman said: “We’re currently investigating and we’ll be in touch with the customer shortly.”
Katie has also contacted environmental health at Coventry City Council.
Little Darci Pettigrew and (inset) the mouldy sandwich