Wim­ble­don rise to the oc­ca­sion!

Warwickshire Telegraph - - SPORT -

the same divi­sion as the club their fans still refuse to ac­knowl­edge, MK Dons, cre­ated when the old Wim­ble­don was so con­tro­ver­sially re­lo­cated.

“I am look­ing for­ward to play­ing in League One,” Ard­ley added. “It was in­evitable that if we con­tin­ued be­ing suc­cess­ful our paths would cross in league games.

“There will be an edge to the MK Dons games, but they are just two games to­wards our points tally.”

Ply­mouth fin­ished two places and six points ahead of the Dons but seemed to be over­awed by the oc­ca­sion in front of a 30,000-strong Green Army.

“We didn’t per­form well enough,” ad­mit­ted man­ager Derek Adams. “Credit to Wim­ble­don, but we are dis­ap­pointed not to have won.

“It wasn’t an ex­cit­ing game and we prob­a­bly played into Wim­ble­don’s hands a bit, we didn’t trou­ble their goal­keeper enough.

“It’s a huge dis­ap­point­ment to come here and not show peo­ple what we can do. We are dis­ap­pointed but we’ve come a long way with a thread­bare squad and it’s tes­ta­ment to the play­ers to have even got here to­day.”

With 1988 he­roes Lawrie Sanchez and Dave Beas­ant watch­ing from the stands, Wim­ble­don de­served their vic­tory as Ply­mouth, play­ing in front of an im­pres­sive 30,000 Green Army, seemed over­awed by the oc­ca­sion.

Amid the poor con­trol and mis-placed passes from Ar­gyle, one ner­vous clear­ance from Callum Kennedy’s free-kick al­most fell to Tay­lor six yards out, but he could not get enough on the ball.

Tay­lor then saw an an­gled shot de­flected into the sidenet­ting, Jake Reeves sent a vol­ley wide and Kennedy’s drive was held by goal­keeper Luke McCormick.

All Ar­gyle had to show for a pedes­trian first half was a Gra­ham Carey ef­fort which flew well over Kelle Roos’ cross­bar.

The Dons, by con­trast show­ing no signs of nerves, surged for­ward again af­ter the break and Andy Bar­cham’s goal­bound vol­ley was charged down be­fore Tom El­liott’s header was de­flected over.

Vet­eran mid­fielder Dan­nie Bul­man should have set up Bar­cham for the opener on the hour but made a mess of a sim­ple square pass and the chance dis­ap­peared.

Ply­mouth fi­nally forced a save from Dons keeper Roos when Carey curled in a free­kick which the Dutch­man palmed around his post.

Roos dealt with tame head­ers from Peter Hart­ley and Craig Tan­ner be­fore Dons boss Neal Ard­ley sent on man moun­tain Ak­in­fenwa.

The striker known as ‘the Beast’ promptly helped his side win a corner, and al­though Kennedy’s de­liv­ery was poor the ball came back out to him on the left wing.

This time Kennedy swung in an invit­ing ball which Tay­lor needed the slight­est of touches to guide past McCormick and send the Dons fans wild.

Ak­in­fenwa al­most grabbed a sec­ond but his header was palmed over by McCormick be­fore, deep into stop­page time, sub­sti­tute Ade­bayo Azeez was tripped in the area by Jor­don Forster. The big man de­manded the ball and tucked away the penalty to re­ally get the party started.

Wim­ble­don’s Lyle Tay­lor cel­e­brates af­ter giv­ing Wim­ble­don the lead.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.