OAP res­cued af­ter fire caused by cook­ing pan

Warwickshire Telegraph - - FRONT PAGE -

Jeremy dur­ing his time as a Coven­try Tele­graph reporter, pic­tured in 1987 AN 82- year- old man was res­cued by fire­fight­ers in the early hours of yes­ter­day morn­ing af­ter he fell asleep while cook­ing and a pan caught fire.

Fire crews were called out to the flat fire on Al­mond Tree Av­enue in Coven­try at 3am.

For­tu­nately, the man was only to taken to hos­pi­tal as a pre­cau­tion and the fire wasn’t se­vere.

How­ever, crews are re­it­er­at­ing the mes­sage for peo­ple to never leave cook­ing unat­tended. A crew from Foleshill went out to the scene, and had to break in to the flat to res­cue the man.

A spokesman said: “We had eight calls to bon­fires, but noth­ing ma­jor. How­ever we had one 82- year- old who we res­cued from a flat fire. He had left some­thing on the stove so went to bed and fell asleep.

“We had to break the door down and res­cue him. “That was around 3.30am.” West Mid­lands Fire Ser­vice con­tin­u­ously raise aware­ness of how dan­ger­ous leav­ing cook­ing unat­tended is.

The phrase ‘ Watch what you heat’ is reg­u­larly used by crews to warn peo­ple of the dan­gers.

The fire ser­vice added: “From the fire bri­gade, our mes­sage is ‘ Watch what you heat’. Don’t leave it unat­tended.”

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.