A close shave
THE owners of a Springador puppy have thanked emergency vets who saved their pet’s life after he swallowed a razorblade.
Fenton, an 11-month-old Springer Spaniel/Labrador cross, needed emergency surgery to remove the blade and prevent it slicing into his intestines.
The puppy has fully recovered from his dramatic ordeal but senior veterinary surgeon Katie Wain, from Avonvale Veterinary Centres, said it was ‘a close shave.’
Wain said: “Fenton was brought in just before 9pm as his owners were concerned that he may have eaten the head of a razor.
“He was admitted immediately, taken for an x-ray and straight away we could see the razorblade sat in his stomach.
“We couldn’t leave it there as it could have sliced open his stomach or intestines which would have been lifethreatening.
“So he was anaesthetised and I removed the razor blade, and a lot of food, from his stomach.
“He was kept in overnight for further pain relief and monitoring and sent home the next day. He’s recovered really well and was back to his normal self within a week.
“Nevertheless, this case is a warning to all dog lovers and shows why we are always advising people about the dangers of their pets swallowing cones, stones, bulbs and all sorts of foreign objects.”
Relieved owner Tao Radford said: “I can’t thank Katie and the staff at Avonvale enough for what they did that night.
“Fenton is so lucky they have the pet hospital in Warwick open 24/7 because the night team there got to work on him straightaway.
“He’s a lucky lad because he definitely bit off more than he could chew that night!”
Avonvale Veterinary Centres has branches in Warwick, Stratford, Kenilworth, Southam, Wellesbourne, Heathcote and Cubbington.
Fenton at the vets and, left, an x-ray showing the razor blade lodged in his firstname.lastname@example.org