Neighbours kick up a stink over rubbish
A mountain of rubbish is causing a stink among locals in Whitburn.
People say they have had enough of the ever-increasing pile of rubbish at the bin store at Shanks Road, which has been growing in size since August.
Despite numerous complaints to the council, the problem is getting worse and is causing black flies to plague people living in nearby flats.
One local, Yvonne Gardner, said she has been complaining since August 24. The rubbish was cleared once but it has been allowed to pile up again.
“Everyone appears to be using the area as a rubbish dump,” she said.
“Apart from the state of the bin store and the smell, surely this is a fire hazard.”
Claire Collins, who lives in flats near the bins, agreed, adding: “This is really disgusting.
“I have a five- month- old and am worried about hygiene. It’s a disgrace.”
A West Lothian Council spokesperson said steps would be taken to clear waste from the area and pointed out the homes nearby are owned by both the council and private landlords.
“To allow us to collect waste from communal areas, householders are expected to comply with similar rules to those who use the kerbside recycling scheme, such as making sure we have clear access to their bins,” he said.
“In circumstances where these rules are not followed we are not able to collect the waste.
“The responsibility then falls on the owners to arrange for the communal areas to comply with collection rules, as well as pay the charge for us to carry out a return visit to empty the bins when this is complete.”
He added: “An officer from the council’s environmental health team has visited the site and is now pursuing the matter with owners and occupiers of the properties of concern.
“This may require legal action against these individuals to have the waste removed. If this is unsuccessful then any costs for removal will be pursued and further legal penalties may be applied to those responsible.
“There is also evidence that the area is also being used for fly tipping as well and council staff will continue to monitor this site and take appropriate action as required.”
Apart from the state of the bin store and the smell, surely this is a fire hazard
Concerned Mr Singh from Premier Stores with Yvonne Gardner