Horse dies after fireworks panic during late display
A horse has died after a fireworks display was held a week after Bonfire Night, leaving the owner devastated.
But Fiona Hohmann is eager to use the tragedy to show the reality of what fireworks can do to animals.
The 57-year-old from Murton, Swansea, has owned the horse, named Solo, for four or five years.
She said: “The field where Solo is kept is off Vensland, near Bishopston Road. On Sunday morning I had a call from a neighbour so I went straight to the field. I knew Solo was dying. .
“I don’t want to spoil people’s fun and on Bonfire Night you can prepare for fireworks. A week after Bonfire Night, fireworks should not be allowed to take place. How was I supposed to know that a display would be going off? I know first hand just how scared Solo is of fireworks, on Bonfire Night I locked him inside his stable and I stayed with him.
“On Saturday he was alone and he was able to run loose on two fields.
“When the vet arrived they were left with no choice but to put him down. The vet told me that he twisted his gut in panic from the noise. He was suffering alone for 14 hours.
“My heart is truly broken.”
> Solo was found in agony