Who Do You Think You Are? Magazine - - EXPERT TIPS -

“Scot­tish Old Parish Reg­is­ters ( OPRs) are pre­dom­i­nantly the records of the Es­tab­lished Church of Scot­land, but not all fam­i­lies at­tended the es­tab­lished church. Al­though you may be lucky, many Free Church or United Pres­by­te­rian Church mem­bers will not be recorded in the OPRs. The Na­tional Records of Scot­land hold non- Es­tab­lished Church Reg­is­ters, which you can search in per­son at the NRS, Princes Street, Ed­in­burgh (check the on­line cat­a­logue at www.nrscot­land.gov.uk), or there’s Reg­is­ters of the Se­ces­sion Churches in Scot­land, com­piled by Diane Bap­tie, avail­able from SAFHS ( safhs.org.uk). Some­times kirk ses­sion records, also at the NRS, con­tain stray bap­tism, mar­riage or burial records, so they are worth con­sult­ing too.”

JANET BISHOP Chair of the As­so­ci­a­tion of Scot­tish Ge­neal­o­gists & Re­searchers in Ar­chives

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.