Drink Driver in dou­ble crash

Wilmslow Express - - BARLOW’S BRIEF - ALEX HIB­BERT alex.hib­bert@men­media.co.uk @alexghib­bert

ADRINK- DRIVER was caught by po­lice af­ter smash­ing into parked cars, twice in just two days.

Joseph Ge­orge, of Knowle Park, Hand­forth, hit a sta­tion­ary ve­hi­cle while over the legal limit on Jan­uary 5, and then again on Jan­uary 6, a court heard.

On the sec­ond oc­ca­sion he was in­tox­i­cated as he had been drink­ing to ‘for­get about what had hap­pened the day be­fore’, a hear­ing at Macclesfield Mag­is­trates’ Court heard.

Simon Pover, pros­e­cut­ing 51-year-old Ge­orge, said: “On Jan­uary 5 at around 4,20pm a wit­ness de­scribed hear­ing a scrap­ing sound and so looked out of his home’s win­dow. He saw Mr Ge­orge driv­ing er­rat­i­cally down Knowle Park.

“The wit­ness came out of his house and saw Mr Ge­orge park up at an an­gle on the side of the road and get out of his car on the driver’s side. He could see that dam­age had been caused to his neigh­bour’s car.

“The wit­ness asked Mr Ge­orge ‘have you been drink­ing?’ to which he replied, ‘ Yes I have had one’.”

Af­ter the wit­ness called the po­lice a breath test found that Ge­orge had 64 mi­cro­grammes of al­co­hol in 100 millil­itres of breath. The legal limit is 35 mi­cro­grammes. Of­fi­cers also dis­cov­ered that Ge­orge only had a pro­vi­sional li­cence.

The hear­ing heard that the very next day an­other ac­ci­dent oc­curred on Meriton Road when Ge­orge crashed his Honda Civic into a parked Audi, caus­ing dam­age to both ve­hi­cles.

Mr Pover added: “The Audi’s owner’s boyfriend spoke to Mr Ge­orge. The po­lice were called and Ge­orge was found to have 75 mi­cro­grammes of al­co­hol in 100 millil­itres of breath.

“He said he could re­mem­ber the ac­ci­dent on Jan­uary 5 but not the one on Jan­uary 6.”

Ge­orge pleaded guilty to two charges of drinkdriv­ing, two charges of fail­ing to stop af­ter an ac­ci­dent and to driv­ing with­out a full li­cence at the hear­ing in Macclesfield on Wed­nes­day (Fe­bru­ary 4).

Jenny Field, de­fend­ing Ge­orge, told the court that her client didn’t have an al­co­hol prob­lem.

She said: “He has pleaded guilty to all the mat­ters.

“On Jan­uary 5 it was the first time he has been ar­rested. He was wor­ried about the con­se­quences and so in or­der to for­get what had hap­pened he de­cided to drink the fol­low­ing day.

“His ve­hi­cle was taken away by the po­lice and has since been scrapped.”

Ge­orge was or­dered to carry out 100 hours un­paid work, dis­qual­i­fied from driv­ing for two years and told to pay £85 costs to the court.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.