Wilmslow Express - - NEWS -

HE Care Act 2014, which came into force in April, brings in ma­jor changes to the way the so­cial care sys­tem works.

Th­ese changes are some of the big­gest changes to the way so­cial ser­vices work for many years, and they will af­fect both adults with care needs and peo­ple who care for other adults with care needs.

From April the coun­cil has changed legal du­ties to:

• carry out an as­sess­ment of an adult’s care and sup­port needs re­gard­less of their fi­nan­cial sit­u­a­tion or level or need,

• carry out an as­sess­ment of a carer’s sup­port needs and pro­vide sup­port ser­vices if they qual­ify,

• fol­low new na­tional el­i­gi­bil­ity cri­te­ria to de­cide whether or not some­one can get help from them,

• give peo­ple who qual­ify for help a care plan in­clud­ing a per­sonal bud­get show­ing them how much their care and sup­port costs,

• de­fer the pay­ment of care home fees to a later date or af­ter death, so peo­ple will not have to sell their home to pay for their care,

• pro­vide in­de­pen­dent ad­vo­cacy sup­port to peo­ple who need help with their care and sup­port as­sess­ment,

• ar­range care ser­vices for peo­ple who pay for their own care if they ask them to,

• pro­vide ad­vice and in­for­ma­tion on lo­cal ser­vices and how much they cost,

• in­ves­ti­gate sus­pected abuse or ne­glect.

From April next year, the fol­low­ing ad­di­tional changes will come into force:

• in­creased cap­i­tal lim­its for charg­ing peo­ple who get sup­port,

• a cap on how much peo­ple will have to spend on their care in their life­time. This will pro­tect peo­ple from un­lim­ited costs if they de­velop se­ri­ous care needs and help them to plan for fu­ture care costs. It is pro­posed that the cap will be £72,000 for adults who are pen­sion­ers,

• peo­ple with el­i­gi­ble needs will be able to reg­is­ter with the coun­cil for a ‘care ac­count’ that will show the to­tal cost of meet­ing their care needs over time,

• new rights to ap­peal de­ci­sions about so­cial care pro­vi­sion.

You can find lots more in­for­ma­tion about th­ese changes from Sal­ford city coun­cil’s web­site, at www. sal­ford.gov.uk/care-act. You can phone Sal­ford So­cial Ser­vices on 0161 909 6517. If you live out­side of Sal­ford, then check your lo­cal coun­cil’s web­site.

There is also the very use­ful Car­ers’ Trust web­site at www.car­ers. org.

Sal­ford Cit­i­zens Ad­vice has a spe­cial ser­vice to ad­vise peo­ple about their care and sup­port rights. For more in­for­ma­tion just phone us on 0161 206 0274.

If you have any prob­lems, we are here to help you.

For help from Sal­ford Cit­i­zens Ad­vice visit your lo­cal bureau in Ec­cles, Ir­lam and Cadishead, Sal­ford City, Swin­ton, Walk­den or at Sal­ford Royal.

Tele­phone our ad­vice line: 0844 826 9695 (if call­ing from a land­line or if call­ing from a mo­bile 0300 456 2554), which is open on Satur­days.

You can also fol­low us on Twit­ter for regular news and ad­vice up­dates, or by go­ing to www. sal­for­dad­vice.org.uk you can find out about all the ad­vice ser­vices in Sal­ford, which have come to­gether to make get­ting ad­vice eas­ier, or visit our web­site at www.sal­ford­cab.org. uk.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.