Ask the doc­tor

Woman's Own - - CONTENTS -

Q I fell on a slip­pery pool­side on hol­i­day and broke my wrist. The lo­cal hos­pi­tal was bril­liant and I am back home and in plas­ter. Friends tell me I should speak to my doc­tor about a scan. What do you think? A I agree with your friends. If you break a bone af­ter quite a mi­nor in­jury, you should have a spe­cial DEXA scan which looks at bone den­sity. A nor­mal x-ray of­ten won’t pick up thin­ning of the bones. Fac­tors that in­crease the risk of brit­tle-bone dis­ease (os­teo­poro­sis) in­clude be­ing post-menopausal, un­der­weight, smok­ing, drink­ing to ex­cess and long-term steroid use.

Mi­nor frac­tures can be a sign that you are suf­fer­ing from os­teo­poro­sis

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.