EAT­ING MORE TO BURN FAT

When Katie Philpot, a 33-year-old lawyer from Manch­ester, started eat­ing more and lift­ing heavy, she re­vealed her strong­est and most toned self

Women's Health (UK) - - CONTENTS -

How one reader dropped 19lbs

THEN

I’ve al­ways been more of a foodie than a fit­ness freak but, de­spite my big ap­petite, it wasn’t un­til my early twen­ties, when I se­cured my first job af­ter uni, that the weight started to creep on. Long days in the of­fice eat­ing pas­tries and cho­co­late caused my 5ft 3in frame to bal­loon by 2st in just one year. By my late twen­ties, I was a size 14. I tried calo­rie count­ing, eat­ing a ‘light’ ce­real bar for break­fast, a sand­wich from a diet range for lunch and spaghetti bolog­nese for din­ner – but, with­out ex­er­cise as well, I had lit­tle suc­cess. I wanted to en­joy food but get rid of my muf­fin top and bingo wings.

HOW

I tried lots of dif­fer­ent ex­er­cises over the next 18 months be­fore dis­cov­er­ing my love for weights. A gym with a fo­cus on lift­ing opened nearby and I started do­ing up to five 60-minute lift­ing and HIIT ses­sions per week. To feed the mus­cle I was build­ing, I added more protein to my diet and cut my carb in­take: a four-egg omelette and a protein shake for break­fast, nuts and an ap­ple with peanut but­ter to snack on, quinoa with chicken, pome­gran­ate and avo­cado for lunch, and a veg­etable stir-fry for din­ner. I was con­sum­ing 500 more calo­ries a day, but within six weeks I’d lost a cou­ple of inches around my waist and hips.

NOW

I’ve gone from pick­ing up a 5kg dumb­bell in my first class to dead­lift­ing 115kg. I’m a girly girl and never ex­pected to love lift­ing as much as I do, but as a size 6-8, I feel great. I have so much more en­ergy, lower stress lev­els and I sleep like a baby. While I hardly do any car­dio at the gym, my over­all fit­ness has im­proved to the ex­tent that I didn’t even have to train for last year’s Manch­ester 10k run. I try to eat well 80% of the time and al­low my­self treats like pizza, dough­nuts and wine in the other 20%, which feels great when I know I’ve worked out hard. I’ll never stop be­ing a foodie.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.