Any ques­tions

Yachting Monthly - - VIEW FROM THE HELM - Alan Agnew

• Why was I stuck in VAT limbo? • How much will cruis­ing in Greece cost? • Is she a good sailer? • Who flies a Blue En­sign?

QAfter read­ing the news ar­ti­cle in the Sum­mer is­sue of YM, I am left con­fused. In the last 18 months or so there have been many ru­mours around the new taxes in Greek wa­ters and how much these would cost. As I un­der­stand it, up to 12-me­tre yachts would have to pay around £300, while yachts over 12 me­tres would have to pay up to £1,200. Now the re­ports are say­ing in­stead that it's a new form to re­place the old DEPKA pa­per­work.

Can some­one please ex­plain ex­actly how much it is go­ing to cost to cruise around Greece as I'm plan­ning to sail around the Mediter­ranean next year.

AChris Robb, Cruis­ing As­so­ci­a­tion rep­re­sen­ta­tive in Greece, replies:

The new DEKPA is the re­place­ment for the old one, and is noth­ing to do with the cir­cu­la­tion tax. A new DEKPA form will cost you €50 a year. The cir­cu­la­tion tax has not yet been im­ple­mented. You are right that at the cur­rent stated rates, be­low 12 me­tres will be £300 and one inch longer will cost sig­nif­i­cantly more, a sit­u­a­tion we find ridicu­lous.

The ques­tion is whether the tax will be im­ple­mented or not. We have not heard a thing yet, but we are talk­ing to the Greek mar­itime au­thor­i­ties and will make the out­come known as soon as we hear any­thing.

You need a DEPKA form but the new cir­cu­la­tion tax not yet clear

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.