Learning from the shakedown, we made changes to the boat. We added a wind generator to supplement solar panels, a deep third reef in the mainsail so as not to have to rig the trysail, increased anchor chain to 50m, made storm boards for the companionway and made numerous minor changes. We found a solution for rigging a storm jib on a temporary 'inner stay' (May 17) and learned how long water and diesel could last.
Although easier to use than highfrequency SSB radio, getting the satphone set up was tricky and we were glad to have this sorted before our departure.
We would advise anyone sailing to a disaster area to check in advance what is most needed. Some donations weren't needed, while some needs went unfulfilled.
Had we considered the steering hub as the cause (we hadn't), and had the steering jammed completely, we could have disconnected the cables and steered with the emergency tiller.
We never dreamed there could be an electrolysis problem as we didn't know it could happen and the light worked. The damage was barely visible until we stepped off the boat but had we sailed for longer, the rigging could have been seriously weakened. We should also have read our revised insurance details more carefully.
We will never again ignore advice, not just over chafing lines.
A temporary repair to a damaged nav light sent 12v through the starboard lifelines, which had a startling, though superficial, effect on our stainless steel