A case of mind over matter to ease stress in the workplace
1. SET yourself up for greatness: Have a good night sleep, get up early, eat a good breakfast and ease your way into your working day.
2. Learn how to meditate: Taking as little as five minutes in the morning to focus on your breathing can really help you to focus and reduce stress. Repeat this throughout the day… it works a treat.
3. Fuel yourself: To enhance productivity and concentration, keep it light and avoid having processed sugars that will spike your blood sugar levels and leave you with a sugar low. And drink plenty of water.
4. Keep a tidy workspace: Mess is stressful, keep it neat and tidy.
5. Set a timer: Decide how long you aim to work on a piece of work, set a timer and focus on that one task. Once the timer goes off move on to the next task.
6. Make big decisions in the morning: We generally have more energy and make better choices in the mornings, so use your time wisely and plan your working day around your peak energy times.
7. Take a break: Every 45 minutes to an hour take a twominute break and move your body. A short walk around the office or getting some fresh air helps to refocus your mind.
8. Make your environment relaxing and inspiring: Buy a plant, paint a wall, invest in an aromatherapy diffuser or simply have a photo or quote on your desk that makes you smile.
9. Keep distraction to a minimum: Put your phone away and close tabs when you don’t need them. And turn unnecessary notifications off.
10. Write a list and then put it away: Choose one task from your list, put it away and focus on that task. Once it is done, tick it off, smile (this is very important), and then move on to the next task.