Stop worrying about the coming year and just get on with things
TOP TEN TIPS
1. STOP worrying about the impact of Brexit. In fact, stop worrying at all.
2. Identify the three most significant things that could derail your business and over which you have some control. Sense-check this with your peers. Then, plan and implement at least one cost-effective strategy to deal with each.
3. Give yourself a break. Physically and metaphorically. All work and no play doesn’t just make for a dull life but it gradually limits your outlook.
4. Give your staff and colleagues a break too. Recognise their well-being as much as your own and they will love you for it. Your business will thrive as everybody will become more productive.
5. Talk to your customers. By all means, do use social and digital media to acquire feedback and opinion but remember that your customers are human animals and, no matter how good your product or service, people buy from people they like.
6. Listen to your customers. Thank them for their feedback even if it’s negative.
7. Be flexible and responsive. When you’re confident in what you do it’s easy to become complacent and that’s a short step away from getting stuck in potentially bad habits.
8. Aspire. When was the last time you really challenged yourself? What were the goals that you set when you started out in business? Which did you achieve? Which did you choose to abandon? What were your obstacles or reasons for not achieving them? Are they still relevant? Do you have fresh goals?
9. Share your skills. Time isn’t money but it is valuable. Sharing your skills or knowledge could be the most cost-effective and lasting way of creating valuable business and social relationships. You will find yourself the recipient of recommendations and referrals of real financial value.
10. Be honest. This is nothing to do with being right or wrong.