ON ILKLEY MOOR
ILKLEY Moor is one of Yorkshire’s most famous landmarks.
It became known nationwide for its natural springs and hydrotherapy, which became popular in the 1800s. Those who visited fell in love with the scenery and its interesting rock formations, including the dramatic cow and calf. In 1893 the Urban District Council bought the moor but not before it was imortalised in song by a Wesleyan Church choir. Legend has it that the choir was picnicking when two of the party went missing. On their return, one of the choir uttered the first line of the song: “Wheear ‘as ta bin sin ah saw thee?” It was later put to the tune of the 1805 hymn
by Thomas Clark.