Young Ot­ley are swept aside as weak Ionians are over­pow­ered

Yorkshire Post - Sports Monday - - Sport rugbyunion -

A YOUNG Ot­ley side crashed to their third de­feat of the sea­son, as Gary Walker was forced to ring the changes again with two more fledg­ling play­ers drafted in.

They suf­fered an early set-back when Si­mon Wil­lett badly dis­lo­cated his thumb, the bone pro­trud­ing, in the warm up and with no doc­tor or am­bu­lance avail­able, the lock had to wait for a vol­un­teer to take him to hos­pi­tal so it was no sur­prise that the hastily re-ar­ranged side were caught cold, left winger Liam De­laney get­ting over af­ter just four min­utes.

Caldy were play­ing with the con­fi­dence their league po­si­tion demon­strates and Ot­ley were strug­gling to con­tain them, go­ing fur­ther be­hind when No 6 Harry Broad­bent went in.

But a lovely cross­field move ended with Daniel Temm rac­ing in from 50 me­tres, fly-half Nick Cou­p­land con­vert­ing then lev­el­ling the score with a penalty.

More tries fol­lowed for Caldy, a sec­ond for Broad­bent and two for cen­tre Gavin Roberts, fly-half Richard Vasey’s con­ver­sions, seven in all, help­ing to­wards a 31-19 half-time lead.

A de­mand from coach Walker at the in­ter­val for a fight for a bonus point brought the re­quired re­sult de­spite con­ced­ing a try from the restart from winger Gavin Souter.

Ot­ley hit back with two tries from cen­tre An­drew Roberts and winger James Wood.

Twomey achieved the four-try bonus point tar­get with an in­ci­sive run from 40 me­tres but the dam­age had al­ready been done.

Caldy ran in three more tries but the sec­ondary tar­get was achieved. TRIES from two power drives by the Ken­dal pack and three scores from crisp play by the backs gave the home side the clin­i­cal edge.

Ionians and Ken­dal both main­tained pos­ses­sion for sus­tained pe­ri­ods of play, con­tained by tena­cious de­fend­ing by both teams.

Glenn Boyd kicked Ionians into an early lead af­ter they stole the kick-off but Ken­dal pres­sure soon brought one in re­ply from Mark Ire­land.

A pe­riod of mid­field stale­mate ended with a Ken­dal penalty kicked to the 22 where their for­wards trun­dled prop An­dries Ven­ter over, Ire­land con­vert­ing.

Ionians’ pres­sure was thwarted by a se­ries of penal­ties in the cor­ner be­fore a mid­field one saw Boyd land the goal.

Ionians again at­tacked but were pe­nalised for off-the-feet and quick Ken­dal sup­port play saw cen­tre Leo Mercer cross, Ire­land con­vert­ing as the hosts scored two tries from two at­tacks.

Ire­land opened the sec­ond half with seven more points, a well­taken solo try af­ter twice col­lect­ing his own chip ahead, but Ionians again struck back im­me­di­ately as Boyd kick a penalty.

An­other at­tack­ing li­ne­out saw Ken­dal trun­dle over again, Garry Holmes claim­ing the try bonus point.

Ionians pres­sure was fi­nally re­warded with a yel­low card for a Ken­dal for­ward and a penalty try as their pack drove the five-me­tre scrum to the line.

Ken­dal again fin­ished clin­i­cally, gain­ing a penalty by Ire­land and try by right wing Ian Vort­man.

Ionians may have lost but they scored the last try when Sam Wilson was re­leased to race 40 me­tres to the cor­ner. They are bot­tom of the ta­ble.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.