CORNER OF YORKSHIRE:
The Wensleydale Railway
NOW run as a heritage line, the Wensleydale Railway began life as the Bedale and Leyburn Railway when an initial section opened between Northallerton and Leeming in 1848. By 1878 it had been extended to Hawes (pictured) and then westwards to link with the Settle-Carlisle line. Its single track carried mainly milk and limestone and with human traffic low the decline began when competing bus services were introduced. Passenger trains along the full length were withdrawn in 1954 followed by the closure of the line from Redmire to Hawes a decade later. The last remaining stretch carried limestone from Redmire to Teesside steelworks until 1992. Railway enthusiasts then raised funds to obtain a lease on 22 miles of line from Northallerton to Redmire. There are hopes the line can be restored to Castle Bolton, Aysgarth, Hawes and Garsdale. Visit www.wensleydalerail.com for details of services and events.