Dover sole prank leads to man going into cardiac arrest
A PRANK almost proved fatal when a 28-year-old man swallowed a Dover sole he had just caught.
The man had been joking around with the 14cm fish and put it over his mouth but it wiggled free and jumped down his throat – causing a complete blockage.
Paramedics were called and when they arrived at Boscombe pier in Dorset they found the man, who has not been identified, had collapsed and stopped breathing.
Friends were performing CPR, as directed by an emergency medical dispatcher on the line from the 999 control room.
Initial assessment by paramedic Matt Harrison was that the patient was in a desperate situation, with a blocked airway and was in cardiac arrest.
He and colleague Martyn Box, an operations officer, worked on the man and got a pulse back.
“The boys were giving really good CPR on our arrival as instructed by the control room staff,” Mr Box said.
Mr Harrison added: “I have never attended a more bizarre incident and don’t think I ever will – but we’re all so glad the patient has no lasting effects from his cardiac arrest.”