Brief tour in state carriage disappoints onlookers
IT MAY not have been quite the fairytale moment for which some of the onlookers in Windsor were hoping.
Some had waited for days to catch a glimpse of Princess Eugenie and her new husband in the covered horse-drawn Scottish State Coach. But its route through the town was considerably shorter than that travelled by Harry and Meghan in the May sunshine.
Kerry Evans, from Lincolnshire, arrived on Tuesday to secure a spot. “I was very interested in the whole procession and the ceremony and the pomp and [Prince] Andrew led us to believe that was what he wanted, for it to be on equal par with the last wedding,” she said.
“I expected to see military behind. Where were the Coldstream Guards?”
There had been criticism at the £2m security bill for yesterday’s event, which falls to the taxpayer.
The policing costs were increased by the carriage ride, but Eugenie – who is not a working Royal – and Jack took a shorter route back to the castle.
Bartly Graham, who had also been waiting for three days to see the carriages, said he was “thoroughly disappointed”.
“I did Harry and Meghan’s wedding and it was a much larger affair,” she said.
Richard Lamb, who had come from London, said: “It seemed like they could have spent a bit more time. I know the security was very high but it was over very quickly.”
A mother and her daughter, attending their first royal wedding, also said they were underwhelmed.
Hannah White, 23, from Oxford, who had waited three hours to see the procession, said: “It was amazing to see the carriage, but we were wondering if there was going to be a bit more than that.”