Your ques­tions an­swered

We love to re­ceive your ques­tions… though we can’t an­swer them in­di­vid­u­ally. Write to ‘Your ques­tions an­swered’ at the ad­dress on p3 or email yours@bauer­me­

YOURS (UK) - - Content -

Q De­spite hav­ing a clean driv­ing record, my car in­sur­ance provider has put my premium up again. is there any way of keep­ing the costs down? Jane Simpson, Aberdeen Yours says You could start by think­ing of ways to re­duce your in­sur­ance pre­mi­ums such as get­ting a car fit­ted alarm, park­ing your car in a garage or tak­ing an ad­vanced driv­ing course. Al­ways shop around for the best deals, too. Check the cover you ac­tu­ally need and then get quotes from other com­pa­nies and com­par­i­son sites. You may get a bet­ter deal else­where and even then it’s worth go­ing to your ex­ist­ing in­surer and telling them about it – they may match or bet­ter it. n For free and im­par­tial ad­vice on car in­sur­ance call 0330 022 8816 or visit the in­sur­ance com­par­i­son web­site www.mus­ Q i have years of sen­si­tive pa­pers i would like de­stroyed but i have dif­fi­culty us­ing a shred­der. Do you know of a com­pany who would pro­vide this ser­vice for me? A Jarvis, Abing­don Yours says Home Shred UK of­fers a one-off shred­ding ser­vice for do­mes­tic cus­tomers. You can buy five sacks for £15.99. You then fill and seal sacks (no need to re­move sta­ples or paper clips) and ar­range col­lec­tion, which for five bags is £54.99. Your doc­u­ments are taken by po­lice-vet­ted staff, in a satel­lite-tracked van and the en­tire un­opened sack de­stroyed at their se­cure fa­cil­ity within 24 hours. You will then re­ceive a cer­tifi­cate of de­struc­tion. call 020 3002 0523 or visit www.home­shre­ For smaller quan­ti­ties of sen­si­tive doc­u­ments, the Plus Cam­ou­flage Roller Stamp (£9) is a cheap and fast al­ter­na­tive to shred­ding. Roll across util­ity bills, bank state­ments, etc, and watch the spe­cially de­signed stamp­ing pat­tern oblit­er­ate your per­sonal de­tails. call 0800 801 901 or visit www.ry­ Q my video recorder is old but i still record and play tapes reg­u­larly, can i still buy a new one? Mrs D James, Rust­ing­ton Yours says Un­for­tu­nately we saw the end of the man­u­fac­tur­ing of VHS play­ers and recorders some years ago, with the move over to DVD. How­ever, we have found a com­pany which sells fully re­fur­bished VHS play­ers with a 12-month guar­an­tee from around £50 plus postage. call 01925 573 584 or visit www.elec­tro­ Q i have a type­writer, but i strug­gle to buy rib­bons for it, even from the man­u­fac­turer. can you help me find a stock­ist? Del­phine M, Es­sex Yours says Keith Shead has more than five decades’ ex­pe­ri­ence in the type­writer trade. For many years, he has helped Yours read­ers to ob­tain parts and con­sum­ables for old and new mod­els and type­writer ser­vic­ing. n call 01255 852551 or write to: keith shead, 13 rain­ham Way, Frin­ton on sea co13 9Nr

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from UK

© PressReader. All rights reserved.