PORK AND APPLE CIDER CASSEROLE WITH SAGE DUMPLINGS
SERVES: 6 PREP: 25 MINS COOK: 2 HOURS 15 MINS
1kg (2lb 4oz) boneless pork shoulder, trimmed, cubed
80g (3oz) seasoned flour (plain flour with a little salt and pepper added)
2 tbsp olive oil
12 shallots, peeled
2 apples, cored, cut in chunks 2 garlic cloves, crushed 350ml (12fl oz) apple cider 125ml (¼pt) chicken stock
2 fresh bay leaves
1 bunch of baby carrots, trimmed, peeled
Steamed beans, to serve
To make the dumplings:
240g (9oz) self-raising flour 60g (2½oz) grated Parmesan 1 tbsp chopped sage leaves, plus extra to serve
50g (2oz) butter, chopped 165ml (5½ fl oz) buttermilk
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4.
2. Toss the pork in the seasoned flour, shaking off any excess. In a large flameproof casserole dish, heat half on high. Brown the meat in 3 batches, 3-4 mins each. Transfer to a plate.
3. In the same dish heat the remaining oil on medium. Sauté shallots for 4-5 mins until tender. Add the apples and the garlic and cook, stirring for 3-4 mins.
4. Return the pork to the pan with cider, stock and bay leaves. Bring to the boil. Remove from the heat. Season to taste.
5. Bake uncovered for 1 hour until the pork is tender, stirring halfway through cooking. Mix in carrots. Bake, uncovered for 2530 mins until pork is tender and the sauce is slightly thickened.
6. To make the dumplings, sift the flour into a bowl. Stir in the Parmesan and sage. Rub in butter using fingertips, until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Season to taste. Add the buttermilk and use a knife to mix quickly to a soft, sticky dough. Spoon tablespoons of the mixture over the casserole.
7. Increase oven to 200°C/400°F/ Gas Mark 6. Bake for 20-25 mins until dumplings are golden brown and puffed. Sprinkle casserole with extra chopped sage and accompany with beans.
Per serving: 629 cals 21.5g fat (9.5g sat fat), 14g sugar, 1.2g salt foodtolove.com.au