COVER One-pot comfort foods
Warming, satisfying, seriously simple meals, all done in one dish!
SLOW-COOKED GARLIC & TARRAGON WHITE WINE CHICKEN
SERVES: 4 PREP: 15 MINS COOK: 1 HOUR 10 MINS
2 tbsp olive oil
4 chicken legs
1 large onion, thinly sliced 1 head of garlic, cloves separated and peeled 3-4 tarragon sprigs 600ml (1pt) white wine 500ml (17fl oz) glutenfree chicken stock Splash of double cream or crème fraîche Handful of chopped, flat-leaf parsley
Sea salt and black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/ 400°F/Gas Mark 6.
2. Heat the oil in a large lidded casserole over a medium-high heat. Season the chicken all over, add to the pan and brown in the oil, then remove and set aside.
3. Add the onion to the pan and cook gently for 10 minutes until softened. Add the garlic cloves, chicken, tarragon, white wine and stock and bring to the boil.
4. Cover with a lid, transfer to the oven and cook for 45 minutes. Remove the lid and cook for a further 20 minutes or until the chicken is very tender.
5. Transfer the chicken to a serving dish to rest then return the casserole to a medium-high heat and bubble the sauce away a little more until it coats the back of a spoon. Add the cream or crème fraîche, check the seasoning then stir in the parsley. Spoon the sauce over the chicken and serve.
Per serving: 360 cals, 12g fat (3g sat fat), 4.5g sugar, 0.5g salt From Donal’s Meals in Minutes by Donal Skehan, published on September 6, 2018 by Hodder & Stoughton, £25 © Donal Skehan 2018