WINTER VEGETABLE SOUP
SERVES: 6 PREP: 15 MINS COOK: 1 HOUR
2 tbsp vegetable oil 1 onion, finely sliced 3 garlic cloves, finely sliced 2 carrots 2 turnips 1 large potato (preferably Maris Piper) 1 large parsnip
2 heaped tsp sweet smoked paprika, plus extra to serve
1 heaped tsp hot smoked paprika 400g can of chopped tomatoes
1 tbsp tomato purée
125g (4½ oz) chorizo sausage, skinned and cut into 5mm slices
100g (4oz) Puy lentils, rinsed
1.75 litres (2¾ pt) chicken stock 100g (4oz) cavolo nero, kale or spring greens, tough stems removed, shredded Soured cream or crème fraîche, to serve Sea salt and black pepper
1. Heat the oil in a large pan and fry the onion and garlic gently for 5 mins. Cut the carrots, turnips, potato and parsnip into small chunks.
2. Add the veg to the onion and garlic and cook over a low heat for 5 mins. Stir in both the sweet and hot paprika and fry for a few mins. Add the tomatoes and the tomato purée, turn up the heat a little and cook for another few
minutes, stirring regularly.
3. Add the chorizo, lentils and the stock and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 45 mins, or until the vegetables and lentils are tender.
4. Add the cavolo nero, kale or spring greens to the pan and cook for 5 mins or until softened.
5. Season with salt and pepper and serve in deep bowls with a dollop of soured cream or crème fraîche and a sprinkling of paprika.
Per serving: 253 cals, 12g fat (3g sat fat), 10.5g sugar, 1.5g salt