Situated in the center of Padua, this internationally famous old caffè dates from 1831 and the presence of such a well-known gran caffè in Padua is due to Antonio Pedrocchi, the famous purveyor of coffee, cited by Stendhal in ‘The Charterhouse of Parma’. At the beginning of the 19th century, nobles, the bourgeoisie, intellectuals and commoners would all mingle in the numerous caffès. Antonio Pedrocchi dreamed of a monumental gran cafe of representative and functional architecture, situated right in the heart of the city in front of the university and the Austrian police headquarters, so he called on Giuseppe Jappelli, a famous architect and engineer with Enlightenment ideas who was also a profound connoisseur of Hapsburg tastes to realize it, and thus it opened in 1831. Up until 1916 the Caffè Pedrocchi remained open-for-business night and day, earning it the nickname ‘Cafe with no doors’. Its best known house-special is undoubtedly the mint coffee, served with mint cream and flakes of cocoa, these days imitated by many other establishments. Visitors to Padua should also try Stendhal’s eggnog, a cup of eggnog served with small biscuits, particularly loved by the French writer.