Too Charming Place Mats
Got a 5"-square charm pack lying around? If you do, you’ve got what it takes to make these fun and easy place mats.
Skill Level: Beginner Place Mat Size: 191⁄8" x 123/4" Block Size: 131/2" x 131/2" finished Number of Blocks: 2
• 1 pack coordinating precut 5" squares or 18 (5") squares
• 2 coordinating fat quarters
• 2 (15" x 21") backing rectangles
• Basic sewing tools and supplies
Completing the Blocks
1. Select nine 5" squares for one place mat.
2. Referring to Figure 1, arrange and join the squares in three rows of three squares each; press seams as shown.
3. Join the rows to complete one Nine-Patch block; press.
4. Repeat steps 1–3 to complete a second Nine-Patch block. Note: The charm pack has enough squares to make four Nine-Patch blocks.
Completing the Place Mats
1. Lay a Nine-Patch block on a rotary cutting mat and trim one set of opposite corners on the diagonal to make an altered Nine-Patch shape as shown in Figure 2.
2. Layer the altered Nine-Patch shape right sides together with a fat quarter backing piece; press lightly.
3. Place the layered unit on top of a batting rectangle and pin layers together.
4. Sew all around 1/4" from the edge of the altered Nine-Patch shape, leaving a 6" opening on one side for turning as shown in Figure 3.
5. Trim excess batting and backing close to seam.
6. Turn place mat right side out through the opening; press edges flat.
7. Turn opening edges to the inside 1/4" and hand-stitch the opening closed; press.
8. Quilt the place mat as desired or refer to the Quilting Diagram to finish.
9. Repeat steps 1–8 to complete a second place mat.