Mountain High Table Set
This easy bargello look can be accomplished using six fat quarters to make two place mats and the runner.
Skill Level: Confident Beginner Runner Size: 601/2" x 131/4" Place Mat Size: 17" x 131/4"
• 1 fat quarter each dark blue tonal, blue floral, green print, light blue tonal, light green print, white floral
• 1/2 yard medium blue tonal
• 2⁄3 yard dark blue tonal
• Backing to size
• Batting to size
• Basic sewing tools and supplies
The segments are arranged in a different pattern in the place mats and runner. The pattern is formed by joining the segments in tubes, opening different seams in each tube and removing one segment from the end of the resulting strip. Decide on the pattern before you begin and lay out the segments as they are created to make sure you maintain the design.
Cutting From each fat quarter:
• Cut 6 (23/4" x 21") A strips.
• From medium blue tonal:
• Cut 3 (11/2" by fabric width) B/C strips.
• Cut 4 (11/2" by fabric width) D/E strips.
From dark blue tonal:
• Cut 8 (21/4" by fabric width) binding strips.
Completing the Bargello Strips
1. Assign numbers 1–6 to the fat quarters. Select and join one A strip from each fat quarter to make a strip set; press strip seams as indicated by arrows in Figure 1. Repeat to make a total of six strip sets.
2. With right sides together, join the bottom and top A strips of one strip set to make a tube as shown in Figure 2; finger-press seam toward strip 6.
3. Subcut the stitched tube into 10 (2") A segments as shown in Figure 3.
4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 with all strip sets.
Completing the Place Mats
1. Select 10 segments for one place mat. Undo the stitches in seam between fabrics 1 and 6, and open the strip; remove strip 6 to make the first strip (on the left-hand side) as shown in Figure 4. Repeat to make a total of three identical strips.
2. Repeat step 1, opening the seam between fabrics 5 and 6, and remove strip 5 to make the second strip as shown in Figure 5. Repeat to make a total of three identical strips.
3. Repeat this process, opening seams between strips and removing segments to complete the segments needed to complete the pattern referring to Figure 6.
4. Arrange and join the segments referring to the Assembly Diagram to complete the place mat center; press seams to one side.
5. Join the B/C strips on the short ends to make a long strip; subcut strip into four 11/2" x 151/2" B strips and four 11/2" x 133/4" C strips.
6. Sew a B strip to opposite long sides and C strips to the short ends of the place mat center to complete the place mat top; press seams toward strips.
7. Create a quilt sandwich referring to Quilting Basics on page 124.
8. Quilt as desired.
9. Bind referring to Quilting Basics on page 124 to finish.
10. Repeat steps 1–4 and 6–9 to complete a second place mat. Set aside remainder of binding for runner.
Completing the Runner
1. Referring to instructions for Completing the Place Mats, select 32 A segments and undo stitches, removing segments as shown in Figure 7.
2. Arrange and join the segments referring to the Assembly Diagram to complete the runner center; press.
3. Join the D/E strips on short ends to make a long strip; subcut strip into two 11/2" x 59" D strips and two 11/2" x 133/4" E strips.
4. Sew D strips to opposite long sides and E strips to opposite short ends to complete the runner top; press seams toward strips.
5. Create a quilt sandwich referring to Quilting Basics on page 124.
6. Quilt as desired.
7. Bind referring to Quilting Basics on page 124 to finish.