Lemon Slices Runner
This project is a great way to try your hand at using templates and curved piecing. For a different twist, it has curves on alternate corners.
Skill Level: Intermediate Runner Size: 15" x 521/2" Block Size: 71/2" x 71/2" finished Number of Blocks: 12
• 3⁄8 yard yellow tonal
• 5⁄8 yard white tonal
• 5⁄8 yard lime green tonal
• 7⁄8 yard dark green tonal
• Backing to size
• Batting to size
• Template material
• Basic sewing tools and supplies
Using patterns given on pages 56 and 57, prepare templates for pieces A, B and C, marking center notches on templates.
From yellow tonal:
• Cut B pieces as per pattern.
From white tonal:
• Cut A pieces as per pattern.
From lime green tonal:
• Cut C pieces as per pattern.
From dark green tonal:
• Cut D pieces as per pattern.
• Cut 21/2" bias strips to total 150" for binding.
Completing the Blocks
1. Select and join one each B, C and D wedge pieces to make an arc as shown in Figure 1; repeat to complete a total of four B-C-D arcs.
2. Repeat step 1 to join the same pieces in the opposite order to make four D-C-B arcs, again referring to Figure 1.
3. Select and sew one C wedge to each side of a D wedge to make a C-D-C arc as shown in Figure 2; repeat to complete a total of four C-D-C arcs.
4. Select and sew a C wedge to opposite sides of a B wedge to make a C-B-C arc as shown in Figure 3; repeat to make a second C-B-C arc.
5. Press seams in one direction on all arcs.
6. Set aside two C-D-C arcs for opposite corners.
7. Center and sew an A piece to one of the remaining arcs referring to Figure 4, being careful when sewing curves and matching center notches. Clip into seams as needed and press seam toward arc to complete one block.
8. Repeat step 7 with remaining arcs to complete blocks referring to the block drawings.
Completing the Top
1. Arrange and join the blocks with the two C-D-C arcs in rows referring to the Assembly Diagram; press.
2. Join the rows to complete the runner top; press.
3. Create a quilt sandwich referring to Quilting Basics on page 124.
4. Quilt as desired.
5. Bind referring to Quilting Basics on page 124 to finish.