Keep your credit cards, money and other important documents inside this fabric wallet.
Wallet Size: 73/4" x 113/4" open and 73/4" x 4" closed (includes binding)
• 1/4 yard 42"-wide non-quilted coordinating fabric with body
• 1⁄3 yard 42"-wide double-sided quilted fabric
• All-purpose thread to match fabric
• 2 (7") cream closed-bottom zippers
• 11/2" length 53⁄8"-wide hook-andloop tape
• 25" length 7⁄8"-wide cream grosgrain ribbon
• Zipper foot
• Basic sewing tools and supplies
Note: Refer to Figure 1 for placement for cutting double-sided quilted fabric pieces.
1. Cut one 73/4" x 81/4" W rectangle double-sided quilted fabric for top outside.
2. Cut four 73/4" x 41/2" X rectangles double-sided quilted fabric and label X1, X2, X3 and X4 for pockets.
3. Cut two 2" x4" Y rectangles double-sided quilted fabric for strap.
4. Cut three 73/4" x 41/2" WIP rectangles coordinating fabric for inside pockets.
Note: Use a 1/4" seam allowance throughout unless otherwise noted.
1. Using a quarter coin, round the corners of the top edge of each Y piece as shown in Figure 2.
2. Using a zigzag stitch, center and stitch the hook tape 3/4" from top rounded edge on the right side of one Y piece as shown in Figure 3.
3. With right sides of Y pieces together, stitch 1/4" from edges, from one side of the bottom to the other side as shown in Figure 4; clip curved edges. Turn right side out; press flat.
4. Topstitch 1/4" from edge to keep seams in place as shown in Figure 5; serge or zigzag across the bottom raw edges and set aside.
5. Referring to Figure 6, fold and press each WIP pocket in half along the long side; serge or zigzag long raw edge on two of the three pieces.
6. Fold and press serged edge under on serged line; stitch close to serged edge as shown in Figure 7.
7. Position one of the finished WIP pieces with the fold at the top, 11/2" up from the bottom on the right side of the X1 piece; stitch in place close to the bottom of the WIP piece as shown in Figure 8.
8. Position a second finished WIP piece with fold at the top, 7⁄8" up from the bottom on the right side of the X1 piece; stitch in place as shown in Figure 9.
9. Referring to Figure 10, align the raw edge of the third WIP piece with the bottom raw edge of the X1 piece; stitch down the center of the three pockets. Serge or zigzag around the edges of the panel.
10. Fold under 1/4" at the top and bottom of the panel; press and stitch close to only the top serged edge as shown in Figure 11; set aside.
11. Serge or zigzag all edges of the remaining X pieces and the W piece.
12. Cut the remaining loop tape to 1". Using a zigzag stitch, center and stitch the loop tape 11/4" from the top right side edge of W as shown in Figure 12.
13. Press under 1/4" to the wrong side at the top edges of the W and X2 pieces; mark in 3⁄8" from side edges on each piece. Lay pressed edges alongside the zipper teeth. Using the zipper foot, stitch close to folded edges of the W and X2 pieces,
angling zipper tape back at ends of zipper teeth as shown in Figure 13. Stitch a second line 1⁄8" from the first line to hold zipper tape in place.
14. Referring to Figure 14, align side edges of W-X2 pieces; stitch at top of serger or zigzag stitching at the bottom of the X2 piece.
15. Press under 1/2" on one long edge of the X3 piece as shown in Figure 15; mark in 3⁄8" from side edges on the folded edge of the X3 piece and the bottom edge of the X1-WIP panel. Lay the bottom of the panel and the top of the X3 piece next to zipper teeth; stitch close to folded edges. Stitch a second line 1⁄8" from the first line on the X3 piece only. Cut off excess zipper tape.
16. Center and baste-stitch the Y strap to the bottom of the front side of W as shown in Figure 16; align one long edge of the X4 piece right sides together with the Y-strap edge of W. Stitch 1/4" from serged or zigzagged edges; press seam toward W.
17. Referring to Figure 17, align the X4 edge of the W-X4 panel right sides together with the X3 edge of the X3X1 panel; stitch 1/4" from edge. Press seams toward the X3 piece; topstitch the seam allowance in place on the X3 side 1/4" from seam line.
18. Fold the X3-X1 panel up. Align side edges of both panels. Align zipper at bottom of X1-WIP panel with seam on W-X4 panel; machinestitch on the X1-WIP panel 1⁄8" above first row of stitching at top of zipper as shown in Figure 18. Using the zipper foot, machine-baste side edges by serging or zigzag stitching, again referring to Figure 18.
19. Cut the grosgrain ribbon into two 121/2" lengths. With wallet laying open and inside facing up, align grosgrain ribbon with 1/2" extending above, below and to the side of the edges as shown in Figure 19. Using a long basting stitch, sew over the previous stitching.
20. Fold ribbon over edges, enclosing previous stitching; fold ribbon ends in, covering the raw side edges. Topstitch 3⁄8" from wallet edge; remove basting stitches.
21. Fold wallet in thirds and fasten with strap to close.
These two photos show both sides of the panel before it is folded to create the many pockets and compartments that make this such a versatile wallet.