Wine & Cheese Table Set
This set adds the perfect touch to an adult gathering. Serve wine and cheese, and impress your guests with your quilting skills at the same time.
Skill Level: Confident Beginner Napkin Size: 161/2" x 161/2" Place Mat Size: 16" x 16" Cheese Tray Size: 8"x 8" x 21/2"
• 1/4 yard tan solid
• 1/2 yard black print
• 1 yard black solid
• 21⁄8 yards tan print
• 14" square Craf-Tex fusible interfacing
• Batting 2 (18") squares
• Template material
• Basic sewing tools and supplies
Instructions are for two each napkins and place mats, and one cheese tray.
Cutting From tan solid:
• Cut 4 (11/2" by fabric width) strips. Subcut into 8 (11/2" x 18") F strips.
From black print:
• Cut 1 (14" by fabric width) strip. Subcut into 1 (14") E square. Trim remainder of strip to 121/2" wide and subcut into 2 (121/2") B squares.
From black solid:
• Cut 10 (21/2" by fabric width) strips. Subcut 8 strips into 8 (21/2" x 26") G strips. Set aside remaining 2 strips and ends of trimmed strips for binding.
From tan print:
• Cut 2 (17" by fabric width) strips. Subcut into 4 (17") A squares.
• Cut 1 (18" by fabric width) strip. Subcut into 2 (18") C squares for place mat backing pieces.
• Cut 1 (14" by fabric width) strip. Subcut into 1 (14") D square.
Completing the Napkins
1. Pin and stitch two A squares right sides together 1/4" from edges leaving a 3" opening on one side for turning (Figure 1).
2. Trim corners at a diagonal (Figure 2). Turn right sides out, gently pushing corners out.
3. Turn opening seam allowance to inside and press edges flat. Handstitch opening closed.
4. Topstitch 1/4" from edges all around to complete one napkin.
5. Repeat all steps to make a second napkin.
Completing the Place Mats
1. Fold and press F strips wrong sides together along length to make eight folded F strips.
2. To complete one place mat, select one B square, four folded F strips and four G strips.
3. Pin and baste an F strip to opposite sides of B matching raw edges. Trim excess at ends.
4. Fold both ends of the two remaining folded F strips at a 45-degree angle referring to Figure 3a; press.
5. Baste the two angled F strips to top and bottom of the B-F unit, matching raw edges and overlapping F side strips as shown in Figure 3b.
6. Center and sew a G strip to each side of the B-F unit, mitering corners referring to Mitered Borders instructions on page 105, to complete the place mat top.
7. Layer, quilt and bind using a C backing piece, 18" square batting and remainder of black solid strips to complete one place mat referring to Quilting Basics on page 124.
8. Repeat steps 2–7 to complete a second place mat.
Completing the Cheese Tray
1. Fuse D and E to opposite sides of Craf-Tex square following manufacturer’s instructions.
2. Trim fused square to 13" square.
3. Draw a line 21/2" from all sides on D side of fused square with fabric marking pen to mark a center square referring to Figure 4.
4. Make a corner cutting template using the pattern provided on page 105. Trace around template in one corner of the fused square as shown in Figure 5 and cut on traced lines. Repeat on all corners.
5. Satin-stitch along the drawn center square lines (Figure 6).
6. Satin-stitch over edges of fused square so that stitching encloses raw edge.
7. Match edges of cutout corners and satin-stitch together making sides of tray to finish (Figure 7).